Learn More About Stained Teeth
Stained teeth are often a cosmetic issue that many people deal with. It’s hard to enjoy moments, particularly during socials, when you’re constantly worried about your appearance.
The color of your teeth can greatly impact how you look. Some might not realise that discolored teeth may give off the impression of poor hygiene, but this is an unfortunate result of what you eat and your lifestyle habits. However, it may also indicate underlying problems or other health conditions.
Hills Family Dental Centre offers several treatments for stained teeth that may help you feel proud of your smile again. Our professional teeth whitening is a popular option to address such aesthetic issues. We also have alternatives, including dental veneers and crowns, to provide patients with as exceptional care as possible. We will work with you to determine a suitable approach for your goals and budget. Additionally, our dentists use the latest technology to reduce traces of staining, leaving your teeth looking whiter and brighter.
Common Causes of
Many factors or habits can be the possible root causes for losing the luminous of your teeth, including but not limited to the following:
Poor dental hygiene
When you do not brush and floss your teeth enough, plaque and food stains can build up on your enamel. If these are not removed, they can become difficult to remove and may even cause your teeth to become yellowish.
Cigarettes and tobacco products
People who smoke are more susceptible to tooth discoloration due to tar and nicotine in cigarettes and tobacco products.
Foods and beverages
Red wine, coffee, tea, curry, and those with dark pigments are some of the most common culprits of having stained teeth.
The outer layer of enamel on your teeth gets worn away, which may reveal the dentin over time. It may result in the dull yellow appearance of your smile.
A hard blow in the mouth may damage the enamel, leading to the darkening of the tooth.
Some well-known antibiotics, such as tetracycline and doxycycline, may have side effects that can leave your teeth with discoloration.
Certain health conditions may affect the tooth enamel that can lead to changes in the color of your teeth.
Book An Appointment Today And Experience Amazing Dental Care
Dental Services that
Can Address Stained Teeth
During the procedure, the dentist will apply a whitening gel to your teeth, and they may also use a special light to help the bleaching process.
Dental veneers may be the answer if you have severe tooth stains that whitening agents can’t conceal.
Dental crowns may be an alternative if you want to enhance the appearance and restore the function of your teeth.
A smile makeover can have a huge impact on your overall appearance.
These are thin, custom-made tooth-colored shells that dentists bond to the front of your teeth– which covers imperfections and give your teeth a bright, new look.
They are tooth-shaped caps that can be placed over the affected teeth to cover discoloration, resulting in a whiter and stronger smile.
The dentist in our practice will combine one or more cosmetic dental procedures to whiten the teeth and address some other aesthetic concerns of one’s smile.
We Accept All Health Funds and
Have Multiple Payment Plan Options
To Suit Your Needs
Frequently Asked Questions
About Stained Teeth
While occasional indulgence of the following food and drinks is unlikely to cause noticeable staining, frequent consumption can result in gradual discolouration:
- Dark berries, such as blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries, pomegranates
- Black and green teas
- Sodas, sports, and other carbonated beverages
- Balsamic vinegar
- Soy sauce
- Coloured candies
- Pasta and tomato sauces
- Extrinsic staining. Also known as external staining, it is the most common type of tooth discoloration. It happens when colored pigments are absorbed into the surfaces of teeth. The most common external sources are smoking and dark-colored foods and drinks. While it is not typically harmful to teeth, it can be difficult to remove and may require professional treatment. If you are concerned about extrinsic staining, please consult your dentist.
- Intrinsic staining. It is a type of staining that seeps inside the tooth, affecting the dentin. This type of discoloration may not be removed as easily as surface stains, depending on the case. More difficult stains may require a dental restoration, such as a dental veneer or crown. Intrinsic staining can happen for many reasons, including certain medications, fluorosis, and tooth injury. Consult the dentist in the office about your treatment options.
- Age-related tooth discoloration. As you age, it’s not only your skin that shows signs of wear and tear—your teeth do too. The combination of thinning enamel and darkening dentin causes unwelcome discoloration that’s out of your control.
Generally, stained teeth may only be temporary and can be enhanced with professional teeth whitening. However, some discolouration may be more difficult to reduce, which may require other alternatives to brighten the appearance of the teeth.
Depending on the severity of the staining and your desired results, the dentist can help you choose the treatment option that can address the problem.
Some stains can be managed with home remedies, good oral hygiene practices and take-home teeth whitening kits. Others may require professional care from a dentist who is experienced in addressing various types of staining situations on teeth.
Here are possible methods available to improve yellow-stained teeth at home:
- Take-home teeth whitening. The dentist in our clinic can provide you with customised take-home teeth whitening kits that you can use conveniently. Each contains trays and bleaching gel that you need to wear per the professional’s advice.
Good oral hygiene practices. Maintaining regular brushing, flossing, and professional cleaning may reduce the yellowish hue of your teeth. At the same time, you can keep them healthy and attractive.
Home remedies. Suppose you’re looking for a more conservative method of addressing your tooth discoloration; you can try coconut oil-pulling, activated charcoal, apple cider vinegar, and eating vegetables and fruits with high water content.